Sunday, March 8, 2009

How Swingers are portrayed, or how the media gets it wrong again.

The other day I was watching an old episode of CSI and it was focused on a group of Swingers. Needless to say, the writers got it wrong. It pisses me off every time I see some TV show on us, and it's wrong. Case in point, in the CSI episode they we’re all neighbors. DUH! I have never seen, nor would we ever have a situation where we play with our neighbors. The very idea brings up all sorts of dynamics that are troubling at the very least. Second the characters were just that; characters- shadows of reality… they reflected some resemblance of actual people we have meet yet they were more like those carnival drawings you get ; an exaggeration of the truth and a poor one at that. At best caricatures. Third (and the one that got me) is that the killing took place over a jealousy issue because one husband was having sex with another couples 15 year old daughter (It was the daughter that killed her mom when she saw her playing with her lover.) I could understand the jealousy issue. Emotions can be a powerful thing but what got me was the underage child. Sure as swingers we are more Open-minded but we're not Child molesters. The majority of us have children and are damn good parents at that. This comparison is like saying homosexuals should not be near kids because they’ll try to have sex with them or make them gay. Now I will say that I saw another episode of CSI: NY and it was about a threesome couple (two women and one Male) in that episode one of the females killed the guy because she always came second. That one was believable and didn't piss me off, but it did make me flinch.
I am a glutton for punishment. This week Life on Mars is going to be about a bunch of Swingers and I will be glued to the TV to see their take on it. Hopefully those writers will it more right than wrong, we’ll see. The jury is still out.

No comments:

Post a Comment